Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Okay, folks, it's been a while and lots have happened.   I will start on the day I left Florence to come to Frascati, which is 19 km outside of Rome.  I arrived at the train station, everything closed:  All Saints' Day... national holiday in Italy.  I asked a gentleman nearby if he wouldn't mind calling the B&B for me and Paolo came quickly to pick me up and my "£$%&/ luggage.  We made it to the B&B in two seconds, and got settled in.  It's just perfect, you walk out of it and there's the main piazza, with the cathedral (whose bells wake us up every morning at 7:00 am.  It's really a lovely sound.  My friend, Paco, now from San Diego, arrived on Saturday.  I took the train into Rome and picked him up.  Quickly, we made our way back to the train station to leave for Frascati (25 minutes by train) but I blinked and got on the wrong train.  I couldn't recognize where we were going so, of course, in PERFECT (yeah, sure), I asked a guy where we were going and he quickly told me we were going God knows where.   We quickly got off, bought new tickets, had to do the metro into Rome's Termini.   Of course we got to Frascati allright, and Paolo was waiting for us.  If Paolo hadn't been there either times, the way to the B&B involves 120 steps or a walk of about 15 minutes up a pretty decent incline.  We have done the incline 4 times now and we will keep doing it until Saturday when we leave for Arezzo (near Florence).   We have been enjoying the local foods and Frascati is famous for its wines.....   One food in particular stands out.  All around the town piazza are these little stands, sort of like taco stands, but inside the glass case is a whole suckling pig ready to be carved and made into a yummy sandwich.  The pig has been deboned and stuffed with herbs and spices and roasted on the pit until the skin is soooo crispy, you would not believe it.  Of course, it's pull apart soft and moist and incredible.  Paco and I bought some cherry tomatoes, balsamic, and these gigantic green grapes that look like limes, and the red ones are that big too.    They are heavenly.   We took everything to our room and had one of the best mealas I have ever had.   Everything tastes sooooo good here.   I am eating more vegetables sand fruits than ever, and the walking, walking, walking, has helped.  I have lost a couple more pounds.  We found a wonderful restaurant called Belvedere and it's run by a couple who hails from Venezuela, but originally, emigrated to America from Italy.   His mom happens to be the cook.   We ate some incredible pasta with muchrooms and hazelnuts, my friend, Paco and I share plates, and he ordered the wild boar, which I understand is the sme as a javalina, but can't be positive.   Anyone can set me straight on this one.   We took it easy Sunday, went to Mass and there was a quaint open-air market all day, with music and goodies, and veggies and fruits.   It was so much fun to walk around.  On Monday, we went to Rome pretty early (trains every hour), and hopped on those double decker buses that take you to many places of interest.   We rode it around for a couple of hours, and then we chose the places to visit.  We took it right off the terminal so, it was very convenient.  It went to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore which is spectacular, or course, then to the Colosseo, which we skipped because there were soooooo many people.  Rome is actually really crowded right now.  Then off to the Circo Massimo where many interesting activities by the military took place.   Next, Piazza Venezia with all the beautiful fountains, and then the Vatican.  we're spending the whold day tomorrow in the Vatican, so we did not stop.  We got off on the Fontana di Trevi to make a wish, and it was packed....   but so monumental.  My friend just keeps closing his mouth.  I don't think he had any idea of the magniture and grandeur of things here.   Then we walked to the Piazza de Spagna where the famous Michaelangelo's steps are.   We couldn't see the steps there were so many people sitting on them.   Lots of people from the Orient.   Last stop before the treminal was Piazza Barberini, which we did not stop.  Later we went to the church and Trevi to see it lit at night.  I found the hotel where I had stayed with my godson when we came.   It's just a few steps from the Fontana di Trevi.  On our climb up the cobblestoned street we need to climb, we stopped at the restaurant where the owners are Nelson and Yelitza from Venezuela.  They are a young, lovely, couple, and his mother is the cook, but he cooks too.   Since my friend, Paco, is in the food industry, they get along really well.  We ate lunch in Rome, I had a seafood plate:  shrimp that tasted just like lobster, and calamari that melted in your mouth.   Prosecco seems to be the beverage of choice.  Tomorrow, Thursday, is Vatican Day.  Friday is a sort of free day to do laundry and catch up and get ready to leave on Saturday.  Today, we are returning around 1 and having another one of those yummy pork sandwiches.  In the afternoon, we have planned a visit to a local winery which is 5-6 minutes from the B&B.  It should be lots of fun.
On Saturday, we take the train to Arezzo, which is 29 miles out of Florence.  We will stay in a rel hotel this time, run by one of the subsidiaries of Marriott (I exchanged some points for the room), and it will be a little bit cold, so we're ready with light coats and scarves and good walking shoes.  I know my friend, who also happens to be an architect, will absolutely love Florence, who doesn't?  I feel very comfortable in Florence now, know the bus system, know where everything is....  I am starting to feel that I will rent an apartment in Florence and go to language school and maybe take some cooking classes.    Everything is very expensive so we'll see how far I make my money go.   Social Security is kicking so, maybe I'll be allright.  I will keep you posted of our goings on in Florence. 
Funny, funny.....  We ran out of toilet paper two days ago, but thought the chambermaid would replace it, of course.  When we got in, bursting, of course, there was NO toilet paper.  Oh, my God!!!   And, we didn't even have paper napkins....   So, Paco put on his pants again and ran out to the little town square.  Everything is closed....  ayayay.   Except, a tiny little store which didn't even sell toilet paper, but in whatever body language my friend could muster, he explained the "emergency" and the man gave him some tp from his own bathroom.   He saved our "you know whats".....   The next day, I went to give him a kiss and thank him, and we took a picture together.  He's just the typical, smiling, good-natured Italian.  His wife kept giggling.  I bet you he will be telling that story for a while.
It's been pretty perfect weather.   It has rained but not on us.  Rome is sunny and sparkling, cool. 
Well, looks like that's pretty much it, for  now.  The days go quickly, the nights even quicker.  I can't believe I have been here three weeks.  My friend stays through November, and that's when I think I'll move to Florence for December and see how Italy does Christmas and New Years.  I can get around there quite well, it's not too hilly and it feels safe to me.   It's a thought at this time.
So, I will be back with you in a couple of days, maybe when we arrive at Arezzo.  Lots of quaint little towns to see around there.   And, always gelato in the afternoon......   what an incredible thing to eat!
I hope you are all okay, and enjoying these updates.  
Abraci and baci per tutti mios amiccos....
Salute!
Cecilia

2 comments:

  1. Wow Wow Wow! this is fantastic....are we going to get to see some pictures??
    that would be lovely!
    love,
    april

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que padre tia que risa lo del tren a nosotros también nos paso algunas veces en Viena jajajajja oie fotosssss sube fotosssss y ya veo que mucha comida vino frutas vegetales caminadas gelato y el CAFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE que tal el cappuccino???????????? jajajajajaj besos

    ReplyDelete