Friday, November 1, 2013

Okay....  your tastebuds are going to get a workout!
Went to Bologna (not Oscar Mayer's Bologna)... and tasted the pinnacle of Bolognese cuisine, which is considered the gastronomical capital of Italy, but I'm sure many dispute that statement.   My traveling mate, Carol, ordered the veal with a cream sauce made from WHITE TRUFFLE OIL.   She got these dreamy, velvety mashed potatoes on the side, and a side of sauteed spinach which tasted like they had been sweetened with honey....  I ordered the lasagne bolognese with a little extra bolognese sauce and it was melt-in-your-mouth creamy yet unbelievably flavorful and tasty, even a tiny bit of crushed pepper to add much interest to this chile-loving Mexican.  Needless to say, we had an incredible couple of plates.   Then for dessert, we ordered a panacotta with fresh berries and berry glaze that had us making "those kinds" of noises that people will look to see who's doing them.... :)   At the time, we voted it the best food we had eaten up to that point.   I have to tell you, though, that during the tour, I went to a villa for a very fancy dinner where I think I had the most sublime tortellini and tortelloni.  The tortellini are miniatures and if perfect, seven of them fit on a spoon.   The tortellini (look more like ravioli) were stuffed with mushrooms and mascarpone.  I don't know how they get those tiny tiny things made by hand.   Then the tortelloni were stuffed with squash blossom mixed with ricotta.   OMG!   The second "piato" was steak drizzled with incredible balsamic and the sides were the sweetest zucchini and roasted potatoes that tasted like butter.   Dessert was a creamy pudding-type bowl that defies description and how it tasted.
Up to last night.....   Last night we decided to go out to dinner, instead of lunch because the place that was recommended did not open until 7:30.   Since it was going to be our last night together, we decided it would be a good idea.   I didn't know this type of food existed, you guys.    Carol comes to Italy at this time of the year because it's white truffle season, as well as wild boar season.   Como se dice wild boar en espanol?     Carol asked for the wild boar with gravy sitting on a hazelnut "cake" and I asked for the osso bucco.  The REAL osso bucco, made with a huge veal shank bone and a sauce that had me, literally, licking the plate.   Another panacotta and fresh berries.... better than the other one!!!!   So, the culinary experiences are wracking up, but not the weight thank God.  The walking, walking, walking is amazingly enjoyable except for all the uneven surfaces.  I've got my cane just in case.   I tell you these are the things that I must take care of:
coin purse
credit cards/passport
computer (Galaxy)
camera
converter
So, I go over the 5Cs everyday and make sure I'm covered.  

Today, Friday, All Souls Day, I make my move to Rome, actually Frascati, which is a little town 20 minutes from Rome.  I hope I can get some help at the train station for my suitcases.   They roll really well, but there's this little problem that I cannot lift them.   "Ayuitome, per favore".... I have learned to say and there's usually a compassionate soul who does.   My friend Paco, from San Diego, comes tomorrow to Rome, where I will meet him and then we will both make "house" in Frascati until the 9th.  Then we go to Arrezzo, which is close to Florence and most of Tuscany, and then we're down south to check out Sorrento where I want to stay for the winter.  I am glad to have the company because after that is when I will be alone for 2-3 months, although I'm hoping friends or family will want to jump on a place and come visit me.   I am a great hostess and would love to show you around.

I have to start getting ready to go to the train station now.   I'll be in touch regarding Frascati.
Baci e abrazi per tutti!
Cecilia

1 comment:

  1. Your Italian skills are improving��
    You will be fluent by March my friend!

    ReplyDelete