Thursday, December 5, 2013

Florence.....

Thursday, December 5, 2013
Life in Italy is truly interesting.  Today, I got up all ready to go and walked over, briskly, to the hotel to hear CNN news and read the International New York Times for news and a different perspective and then had plans to go to the central railway station to have lunch at the market (fabulous food) and to look for this place advertising manicures and pedicures.    And, I had seen a place for haircuts as well.   I thought to myself, this is the day to scout these places and make appointments etc....   Especially, in view that I'm going to that fancy event tomorrow night.  Not that I am going to look any better, mind you, but I'll FEEL better.   I like that.   Well, after waiting for almost 40 minutes, very unusual, for my "D" bus at my regular stop near the hotel, no bus came.  I went back to the hotel and find out that, once a week, bus drivers all over Italy strike one day a week, and nobody knows which day it's going to be.... that is to make sure everything gets disrupted to the max and the government will pay attention to them, which doesn't seem to matter to the government.  It just makes everybody mad!!!   I was planning on going to the social hour at the hotel to socialize a little bit, but with no buses, and dark at night, I don't dare chance it....   Better to tuck myself early and catch some zzzzzzz.
Interestingly, a few years ago when I brought my godson to Europe for his high school graduation, there was a national bus strike in all of Italy and we couldn't get anywhere except in cabs, which are prohivitevly (sp?) expensive.  I bit the bullet and hired a driver.....   So, something to get used to....
It was sunny and gorgeous, albeit still cold, but the walking is so much more enjoyable.  Tomorrow, it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy... one of those dreary days...  inside days.   I don't mind.  I have plenty to do, and nothing to do as it suits my fancy.... this is what retirement is all about:  everyday is Saturday, yippee!  
Details on that fancy party after tomorrow!    Stay in tune, hold that thought, etc.etc.etc....

1 comment:

  1. It was 13degrees here in McKenzie Bridge today! Oye! Supposed to snow tonight...do you think you'll get any over there? yikes..huh? I've so enjoyed your blog...can't wait for pics! That is way funny about the bus drivers...what a hoot.
    Love ya.
    April

    ReplyDelete