Sunday, December 1, 2013

Heading for Florence

Well, it's DECEMBER 1, 2013
I can't believe I've been around here for almost two months!
Yesterday, Saturday, was an off day for me.   Still, I walked my 40 minutes by going to a little super market down the street to buy a couple of things and some fruit.  I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but the vegetables and the fruits here are SOOOO good.  It wouldn't be hard for me to become, maybe not vegan, but vegetarian here.  Sometimes, for lunch, I just go into a little cafe and ask for a plate of vegetables:  usually zucchini that tastes like it has sugar in it, grilled or roasted eggplant that I could eat everyday, and lots and lots of roasted red and yellow bell peppers sometimes with onions, or tomatoes, or LOTS and LOTS of "fungi", or mushrooms.   The mushroom harvest was one of the BEST this year and they are everywhere and they are GOOD, all hundreds of different kinds, either as a side dish, or as the main dish.  Italy produces most of the country's apples, as well as exports lots of apples to the rest of Europe.   There are at least 12-13 kinds of apples at every little fruit stand...   The grapes, red or green, look more like plums and they are incredible.  I keep a little cheese in the hotel fridge (whenever they have one) and just munch on grapes and cheese when hunger strikes.  I take a couple of packets of toasted bread or crackers up with me from the breakfast buffet, and there's lunch!
Anyway, I did a lot of reading yesterday and just hung around here.  It looks like it's going to be the same for today, Sunday.  I had scheduled a shuttle ride into the center of Rome (which is about 35-40 minutes away) for a few hours, but it is sooooo windy and grey and I don't want to get caught in the rain, even if I do carry an umbrella.   It happened to Paco and me already when we arrived in Arezzo, and it wasn't fun at all.  My good (?) judgement tells me to stick around here where it's warm and dry.   Besides, I'm sticking around so can always come back.
I have two TIME magazines I haven't read, so today is perfect.   I am sitting in a very comfy lounge, with lots of sofas and the computer desk where I am typing.  There's nobody around, I have my cup of cappuccino deca, as they say here, so I'm good to go.  I'll do emails and Internet and will have lunch in my room.  I need to eat some goodies before I leave tomorrow.  And then, later tonight, I will treat myself to a nice dinner here at the hotel.  As I have traveled, I have come to the conclusion that hotel restaurants are not that good.  HOWEVER, here in Italy, that conclusion has been totally corrected.  The few times that either I, with or without Paco, have eaten at a hotel, the food has been superb.  I just don't know what it is.   I think it HAS to be the quality of the ingredients.   So, I'm going to have some clams and that fillet mignon with chestnut cream that was sooooo  delicious the other day, Thursday, right before Paco left on Friday.  He's home, and probably back to work.   Yippee for retirement, when everyday is Saturday (sorry to repeat myself).
I absolutely MUST learn how to load up pictures for the blog.... I have some amazing ones.  I'll devote some time to reading the manual and let's see what happens.  If not, the guys at the Hotel David are all computer geeks and maybe one of them can teach me how to do it.   I don't do well with instructional manuals.  I'm just not patient enough.... I wonder why?
More to come when I'm settled in Firenze!  Ciao a tutti!
P.S.   I can't believe the whipping UofA got from ASU  (bASUra)...   :(

No comments:

Post a Comment