Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"Life" in Florence

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013
Nothing is "normal" in Florence, so I can't really tell you what it's like to live like a normal person in Florence, but I am learning.....
Yesterday, was day to catch up on washing everything that stunk, fix up a couple of items of clothing, and just go out to the supermarket to get some basic items.   Except this is no ordinary supermarket.  Itr's more like a deli with super gourmet food.   I bought a few items, it was almost $100 dollars, but it will last me a while.   I just ate some of the prepared foods that I bought and it was absolutely incredible... I tell you, these Italians, they know how to do things... no matter how small or how insignificant.  I don't even know what it was, but it was delicious, some sort of pork with potatoes in a tomaro sauce.  I also bought some gorgonzola, honey and grapes for a little snack as well as the regular stuff:  eggs, bread, biscotti, tomatoes, pannacotta (my favorite dessert, a flan-like concoction that is unbelievable) and a couple of mini apple-pies. 
Today, I got up and went to the hotel associated with this property for breakfast.  It is always a treat, because Maria, who takes care of breakfast, makes the best cappuccino ever!   And, as I said before, there's DECAF in Italy.  Wonders never cease.   I had a nice breakfast and went downstairs to watch CNN news before I headed out for my day.   I decided to walk to the old center of town and just hang out there.  I went back to Il Duomo, which is the most striking cathedral you ever want to see, maybe, except for Milano....   there is a baptistry right next to it, but you have to pay to get in and I didn't have any change.   I must get a card called "Florentina Card" which lets you in to all the museums for a reduced price.  I will get a hold of that website and buy one.   There's always something going on at all these museums.  For example, there's an impressionist exhibit at the Uffizi Galleries, where the famous David is, and it's admission by that card.   So, I must get one. The impressionist exhibit is on loan from the Louvre, so you know it's going to have some heavy duty weight backing it, although, from experience, the Hermitage, in St. Petersburg, has the best collection of impressionistic art that I have ever seen.   Then, I went to a cute coffee shop and bought me some chamonile tea and sat and read the International New York Times which, at least, offers some news from home and around the world.   It's interesting to read other journalistic perspectives.   The day was sunny and Florence glistens when it'ìs sunny so it was a day to definitely go outside.  I returned home just about 10 minutes ago.  It's 5:15 pm Florence time.  Tomorrow, I'm going to the train station area because I saw a place that does manicures and pedicures and I need both of them like crazy......   Also, that's is one of my favorite areas because of all the hustle and bustle of the market, it's amazing.   Gabriele, the owner of the hotel and this apartment, told me that, on Friday, there will be this special event at one of the palazzos here in Florence.  Apparently, it's within walking distance of where I'm staying.   As it turns out, Hotel David is is involved in a charity for terminally ill children.  On Friday, there will be an event where one of the owners of a beautiful palazzo here will open her space to the event.  As a guest of the hotel/apartment, I'm invited.   I can't wait to be a "peeping tom at how the other half or more than half, or less than half" live here.   I understand there is quite an extensive art collection which we are allowed to look at and then there's the palazzo itself, plus some goodies to eat and drink.  I'll report with all the details.
It feels grea to be "amongst the locals", but I will be joining some expats in a bar called the Red Garter Bar, and it's billed as the bar that "your mother warned you about"... it's strictly for Americans, and football and basketball are shown on several huge plasma TVs....   I don't mind, I like all that stuff.   Apparently. the hamburgers are to die for so I will have to check that fact out.   I think there's a Rock Cafe here, where burgers are always fine.... haven't had the urge, at least not in Italy. 
My bed is so high here in the apartment, that I would have to get a running start to jump into it, which is not possible.  I told that to Gabriele when we first looked at the apartment, so he had a little ladder built for me so I can get into the bed.....  he's a really fine gentleman.  Today, I went to that deli/supermarket and bought a huge poinsetttia to take to him to the hotel as a little thank you.   Florence is starting to get ready for Christmas and it should be quite a spectacular display from the little that I see now.   All the little cobblestone streets have these glittering lights all across the buildings and some have these huge glittering balls hanging from the lines.  It's really something to see and it's just begun.   This is why I came here for Christmas.   Then, there's this little town, San Ginigniamo, where the Christmas lights are legendary.... so I must head out there to see them.   It's only about half hour away by train.  Tomorrow, Thursday, is a local day:  market, manicure and pedicure, simple stuff.   I'll report after the event on Friday.... should be loads of fun and interesting tidbits.  Now that I know how to read comments, go ahead and comment on the blog.  It's nice to hear from you.
Chechilia

No comments:

Post a Comment